You are here
Become a Senior Member of the IEEE
Do You Qualify to be a IEEE Senior Member?
Senior Membership is the highest grade for which application may be made and shall require experience reflecting professional maturity; a candidate shall be an engineer, scientist, educator, technical executive, or originator in IEEE-designated fields in professional practice for at least ten years and shall have shown significant performance over a period of at least five of those years. An application for Senior Membership requires three references unless nominated by a Senior Member, and in that case requires two references.
Ten years of professional experience
Your educational experience is credited toward that time as follows:
- 3 years for a baccalaureate degree in an IEEE-designated field;
- 4 years if you hold a baccalaureate and masters degree;
- 5 years if you hold a doctorate.
Five years of significant performance
- Substantial engineering, responsibility or achievement.
- Publication of engineering or scientific papers, books, or inventions.
- Technical direction or management of important scientific or engineering work with evidence of accomplishment.
- Recognized contributions to the welfare of the scientific or engineering profession.
- Development or furtherance of important scientific or engineering courses that fall within the IEEE designated fields of interest.
- Contributions equivalent to those of the above in such areas as technical editing, patent prosecution or patent law, provided these contributions serve to advance progress substantially in IEEE designated fields.
Benefits of Senior Membership
- Recognition: The professional recognition of your peers for technical and professional excellence.
- Senior Member Plaque: Since January 1999, all newly elevated senior members have received an engraved Senior Member plaque to be proudly displayed for colleagues, clients and employers to see. The plaque, an attractive fine wood with bronze engraving, is sent within six to eight weeks after elevation.
- US$25 Coupon: IEEE will recognize all newly elevated senior members with a coupon worth up to US$25. This coupon can be used to join one new IEEE society. The coupon expires on 31 December of the year in which it is received.
- Letter of Commendation: A letter of commendation will be sent to your employer on the achievement of senior member grade (upon the request of the newly elected senior member).
- Announcements: Announcement of elevation can be made in section/society and/or local newsletters, newspapers and notices.
- Leadership Eligibility: Senior members are eligible to hold executive IEEE volunteer positions.
- Ability to Refer Other Candidates: Senior members can serve as a reference for other applicants for senior membership.
- Review Panel: Senior members are invited to be on the panel to review senior member applications.
For more information, go to the IEEE website.
Wed, 2013-11-27 06:01
Sun, 2013-11-17 05:41
20th IMEKO TC-4 Symposium - Measurement of Electrical Quantities and 18th TC-4 Workshop on ADC and DAC Modeling and TestingSat, 2013-11-09 05:05
Mon, 2013-10-21 06:34
Thu, 2013-09-12 15:29
- 1 of 2